Friday, November 11, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Reading Level: Young Adult

Paperback: 480 Pages

Publisher: Speak

ISBN-13: 978-0142419809

My Rating: 4/5
While other teenage girls daydream about boys, Calla Tor imagines ripping out her enemies' throats. And she wouldn't have it any other way. Calla was born a warrior and on her eighteenth birthday she'll become the alpha female of the next generation of Guardian wolves. But Calla's predestined path veers off course the moment she saves the life of a wayward hiker, a boy her own age. This human boy's secret will turn the young pack's world upside down and forever alter the outcome of the centuries-old Witches' War that surrounds them all.

So, it took me a lot longer than normal to read 'Nightshade.' I would have finished it really quick (because it was really good) except that I hit midterms by the time I was almost halfway through. And I feel like I have more schoolwork in this half of my semester than the first. Anyways, I really really really liked 'Nightshade'! After reading so many books where the female lead is some weak, dependent girl it's refreshing to read a great book with a strong female lead.

'Nightshade' is told through Calla, she is the alpha wolf in her pack. She is supposed to marry Ren who is the alpha of another pack but when she meets Shay, things start to head in a different direction. Calla really comes across as one of those straight arrow type of people. Always does what she's told and doesn't ask any questions. But from the moment she sees Shay, she defies every rule that was set out for her. What makes Nightshade such an amazingly lovable book is the fact that it has that "forbidden love" element to it.

While the storyline is very similar to that of other books, it's still unique. Calla is an extremely unique character. She's strong, independent, stands up for herself, she's a great character. There were a couple things I didn't like so much about 'Nightshade' though. I found that, after reading halfway through, there were a lot of characters I just didn't care about....which is never good. At any rate, 'Nightshade' is a good book and if you haven't checked it out yet, you should!

No comments:

Post a Comment