Thursday, May 26, 2011

Evernight by Caludia Gray

Reading Level: Young Adult

Hardcover: 336 Pages

Publisher: HarperTeen

ISBN: 978-0-06-128439-7

My Rating: 4/5
Bianca wants to escape. She's been uprooted from her small town and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.
Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and wants Bianca to be careful-even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."
But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart...and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

I have to start off by saying that I gave 'Evenight' a 4/5 but only because the beginning was a little slow for me. That's not to say nothing was going on, because it was. I just had a hard time getting into it. Around the 100th page though, I was completely hooked. From that point on, 'Evernight' deserves a higher rating than 4/5. Unfortunately, I don't rate on parts of books, I rate the whole thing. That being said, 'Evernight' was still an amazing book! It's kind of like a modern day version of Romeo and Juliet. I loved it!

The story is told through Bianca who is starting at Evernight Academy. One thing I have to admit, I never read the back of a book because I don't want anything to be given away when I read. I like everything to be a surprise and, trust me, 'Evernight' is full of them! Bianca is an easily likable character, she's a little more upbeat then most of the other characters and she's tough. She doesn't fit right into Evernight Academy, but she isn't a total outcast either. Gray has a unique writing style that sets her book apart from the hundreds of other supernatural, YA novels.

I don't want to give too much away about the series...or at least book one. I think it's absolutely worth reading. Everyone, at some point, should check out the 'Evernight' series. It's fabulous! I don't have the rest of the books in the series yet but I can't wait to get them and find out what happens!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your honest review. I was wondering about this one. :0)

    ReplyDelete