Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wereling by Steve Feasey

Reading Level: Young Adult

Paperback: 288 Pages

Publisher: Feiwel & Friends

ISBN: 978-0-312-56912-5

My Rating: 3/5

Fourteen year-old Trey Laporte was "just a kid." Not anymore. Not after the day he wakes up in agony-retina splitting, vomit-inducing agony. His clothes are torn. His room is trashed.
Now, demons are closing in on every side, and the most psychopathic bloodsucker to rock the Netherworld wants to destroy him. And Trey is falling for a girl who is half vampire, half human, and insanely pretty. Above all, Trey must face one terrifying question: Is he a boy...or is he a werewolf?

I'm not really sure where to start with my review for 'Wereling' by Steve Feasey. I loved it in the beginning. It was so good and had such an amazing build up. It came highly recommended to me so I was expecting more. However, by the end of the book I found myself disinterested. I really liked some of the characters-like Trey-but was completely unaffected by others. At one point, there is a traumatic thing that happens to one of the main characters, but I didn't react to it...at all. I just read right past it and then went, "oh! Someone died?" which probably isn't a good thing. That's not to say, however, that 'Wereling' was bad. It certainly wasn't. Feasey is a great writer and wrote a very good story. I think parts just dragged a little and it got less interesting the farther into it I got.

The story is about Trey Laporte. He's fourteen years old and an orphan. He lives in an orphanage for only a few hours of the book as he is "rescued" by Lucien, a friendly vampire who was a friend of his parents. In a short time Trey receives a ton of bad information. He was rescued by a vampire, he's a werewolf, his parents were murdered....by Lucien's brother. So, the whole book is Trey working through his anxiety, having a couple demon run ins and falling in love with Lucien's daughter, Alexa. I don't see the relationship build up there. It seemed like, all of a sudden he was just like "I love her" but there was no reason to. Alexa is just a normal person who knows a few magic spells taught to her by her sorceress mother. I thought it was a little odd that she was....normal? Her dad's a vampire, her mom's a witch. There has to be something there right? Maybe it will be revealed at a later time!

All in all 'Wereling' was a decent read. I'd say it's worth checking out when you have some free time or you're all caught up on other reading you want to do and you're looking for something to check out. Like I said, it's got a good premise, huge build up, some great characters, but the story line was lacking a little....and it was a little slow. Has anyone else read 'Wereling' yet? I'm very interested to see what other people thought of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment