Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Reading Level: Young Adult

Paperback: 384 Pages

Publisher: Scholastic

ISBN-13:978-0-439-02352-8

My Rating: 5/5
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lives the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


I almost considered adopting a different rating system just so I could giving 'The Hunger Games' a higher rating. This book is by far one of the best ones I've read. I was expecting something entirely different from it. I thought, based on the title, that it was going to be about vampires or some paranormal creature. I was happily mistaken. 'The Hunger Games' is unlike anything I've ever read before. I don't know why I wait so long to read some of these books! The series came highly suggested to my from just about everyone I talk to. Every single person that I've discussed the series with just presses me to pick it up and read it. And I kept putting it off. I'm so happy that I picked it up and read it. In one word, it was amazing!

The story is told through Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen year old girl who lives in District 12. We learn a lot about Katniss early on. Who she hangs out with, what she does everyday, what she looks like, how she acts. She's an incredible character. She seems to be universally loved among the blogging world and now I know why. She is forced to compete in the Hunger Games. So the whole book is about her struggles and the entire process she goes through there.

I can't think of one single thing that would make this story any better. It's incredibly written, has unforgettable characters, and an amazing plot. The setup for book 2, 'Catching Fire' was perfect. And the cliff hanger at the end left me feeling desperate to read book 2. Unfortunately, I don't have it yet. And I have other books that I have to read.

If you haven't read 'The Hunger Games' yet or you're like me and kept putting it off, don't put it off any longer! Everyone should check it out. I know that everyone has different tastes in books but I can see this one being easily liked by many people. I love it! : )

2 comments:

  1. The Hunger Games is probably one of my all time favorite books. At the time I read it, it was completely unlike anything that I had ever read before! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished this one last night...am anxious to start #2!! :)

    ReplyDelete