Tuesday, March 15, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Reading Level: Young Adult

Paperback: 272 Pages

Publisher: Speak

ISBN: 978-0-14-241543-6

My Rating: 5/5

Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left-the most important decision she'll ever make.
Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting, and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

So, I wasn't too sure what 'If I Stay' was about at first. It was recommended to me by the Crazy Bookworm I believe. So, I picked it up because I received an ARC copy of 'Where She Went' by Gayle Forman. I'm happy I did. Although, it's not normally something I think I'd read. 'If I Stay' was like an emotional roller coaster for me. I found that I could relate to Mia in so many ways! And, I love to be able to find that in books. Ways that I can really connect with the characters. And the realism of 'If I Stay' is intensely believable which makes it such a powerful book.

The story is told through Mia. She is a high school student with an exceptional skill in Cello playing. Which is odd for her because she comes from a family of punk rockers. Heck, even her boyfriend, Adam, is one. The story basically boils down to Mia and her family getting in a terrible accident and her struggle with whether or not to stay, to live. She gets to wander around in a spirit form while her body lies in a comatose state. She is able to witness her families reactions and words of love as she hangs in the balance of life and death. It's really...powerful. This book definitely made me think a lot about my family, my life, everything!

'If I Stay' is an intense novel full of raw emotions! I definitely recommend it. Even if it's not your type of book, give it a shot. It's not something I would normally read either but I did and I'm glad. I actually devoured the book in one sitting ha ha. I'm starting the next one tonight so I should have a review of 'Where She Went' up really soon. : )

4 comments:

  1. I loved If I stay and I can't wait to read Gale's next book, Where she went! Glad you enjoyed it too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to place this on my wish list :) Thank you so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it! Where she Went is awesome, too! That Gayle Forman...I don't know how she does it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love powerful books ^.^ I'm hoping to read this soon!

    Sniffly Kitty
    Sniffly Kitty's Mostly Books

    ReplyDelete