Thursday, August 18, 2011

Released by Megan Duncan

Reading Level: Young Adult

Paperback: 260 Pages

Publisher: CreateSpace

ISBN-10: 1461017726
ISBN-13: 978-1461017721

My Rating: 5/5
After a demon apocalypse kills their parents and everyone they know, 17-year old Abby Phillips, her brother Carter, and friend, Max flee their home to travel through what has become the wastelands of America. When radio transmissions of a resistance offering shelter and safety cease, Abby is tempted to give up. Struggling to overcome life-threatening obstacles in their dangerous journey, Abby and her companions quickly discover there are much worse things lurking in the dark than they could have ever imagined.

I've been wanting to read 'Released' by Megan Duncan for a long time. So I'm happy I was finally able to. 'Released' is an incredible book. It was a lot better than I even thought it was going to be! I not only fell in love with the characters, but I fell in love with the story. I connected with the characters very easily, which was a bit shocking, and the relationships between the characters is easy to believe. I've read a few books lately where I felt either disconnected from the characters or the characters were disconnected from the story. I'm happy to say, this was not one of those times! Duncan does an amazing job of showing the emotions of all the characters in 'Released.' You can feel their pain as you read, or their happiness. Their success' and failures.

'Released' tells the story of Abby, her brother Carter, and her long time crush (and Carter's best friend) Max. They lost both of their parents, mom when they were younger, and dad from the demon apocalypse. 'Released' is basically their struggle for survival against the thousands of demons, hell hounds, gremlins, and completely insane people while they travel to a military safe zone in New Mexico. They have to travel across the Country but, luckily for them, they have some experience. Along the way they meet some....interesting people. They rescue a girl named Taya and she quickly becomes a part of their group.

Duncan did an amazing job writing 'Released.' It's one of those books that you can feel as you're reading it. When they are being attacked by a demon, you can feel their fear just from the way Duncan writes. I'm definitely in love with character Abby and I can't wait to read book 2 in the series! I will definitely be keeping an eye out for that especially with the way things ended in 'Released.'

No comments:

Post a Comment