Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

Reading Level: Young Adult

Hardcover (ARC): 480 Pages

Publisher: Del Rey

Release Date: October 18th, 2011

ISBN: 978-20-345-52331-0

My Rating: 4/5
The year is 2195. The place is New Victoria. Nora, a very human teenager living in high society, falls in love with Bram, a handsome and polite eighteen-year-old lieutenant who happens to be suffering from "the Laz," a disease that is slowly turning him into one of the walking dead. Bram is fully conscious and healthy enough to take on Nora, killer zombies, and the treacherous humans that plague his life-at least for now. But it is only a matter of time before the Laz will take him away from Nora forever.
EDIT!!
I have to change my review for 'Dearly, Departed.' The time that I read it, I was really busy with school work so that was all that was on my mind. I heard all these amazing things about 'Dearly, Departed' so I read it again when I had a few days with no work. I love it!! I can't believe I came on here and gave it such a bad review previously. I figured that I would leave my original review here as well as my new thoughts. But this book is definitely amazing and well worth the read!! PLUS, I just found out Lia Habel is from my part of NY, AWESOME!!! hehe. Great, great book!!
EDIT!!

I had really high hoped for 'Dearly, Departed.' It was my first zombie/dystopian novel and everyone is always talking about how good they are. I'm not really sure how I feel about 'Dearly, Departed.' I couldn't connect with the characters and I just wasn't interested in the story. I don't know if it's just me or what but I just...couldn't get into it at all. I tried and tried but it just never clicked for me. I began reading the book with a positive attitude about it but I could feel myself losing interest the more and more I read.

'Dearly, Departed' is the story of Nora Dearly. Her parents died and she lives with her Aunt. She find out that her dad is not dead, in fact he is a zombie. I guess they say he suffers from the Laz. Some things I found disturbing, like Nora's ability to fall for Bram even though he is a zombie...I won't say much about the story line because the books not out yet.

The reason I gave this book a 3 even though I couldn't connect with it, is because it is NOT poorly written. In fact, it's written rather well and I could see how people could connect to some of the characters. I just couldn't. Overall, it was an alright book, for me. I definitely think people should check it out because I'm sure it's going to be really popular! I'll probably try reading it again down the road.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review!! I read this one a week or so ago, my review goes up in a week or so. I enjoyed it though. Somethings were hard to adapt to, basically having to learn all the history of the world that's go on for a 100 years or so.

    Thought the whole falling for a zombie was odd too, but still liked it! It was different and I definitely can't wait to read more in the series!

    ReplyDelete