Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Marked by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

Reading Level: Young Adult

Paperback: 320 Pages

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

ISBN-13: 978-0-312-36026-9

My Rating: 3/5
Enter the dark, magical world of the House of Night, a world very much like our own, except here vampyres have always existed. Sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird has just been Marked as a fledgling vampyre. That is, if she makes it through the Change-and not all of those who are Marked do. It sucks to begin a new life, especially away from her friends, and on top of that, Zoey is no average fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx. Zoey discovers she has amazing powers, but along with her powers come bloodlust and an unfortunate ability to imprint her human ex-boyfriend. To add to her stress, she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep withing herself for the courage to embrace her destiny-with a little help from her new vampyre friends.


I've wanted to start reading the 'House of Night' novels for a long time. I heard amazing things about them so I was excited when I received a copy of the book and couldn't wait to read it. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan. Although I didn't completely hate it, I didn't love it either. I mean, I'm so conflicted over whether or not I liked it...I like the parts when Zoey isn't having inner thoughts within her inner thoughts. And there are so many celebrity comparison's it's crazy! And, according to Zoey, every one's a slut. She practically calls everyone a slut. That's not to say the book was all bad though. I did enjoy parts when Zoey wasn't being a prude or having stupid inner thoughts. I just knew that every time I saw her "thinking" something and then there was a bracket, she was probably going to say something dumb.

The story is told through Zoey Redbird. She's a typical high school student with some annoying friends. I don't usually like all the characters in the book so it didn't surprise me that I hated Kayla, her friend from her high school. Or that I didn't like Heath. Zoey was tolerable at best. I think that maybe this series just isn't for me. I was interested in the book. It had an amazing story line. The plot was incredible. However the overly annoying characters and numerous "slut" definitions and celebrity references ruined it for me.

Overall, I Marked was okay. Like I said, I didn't love it, didn't hate it. I'm absolutely willing to give the series another shot and I will be picking up Betrayed. There is incredible potential for the series so I'm hoping it will get better as it goes. I know that not everyone shares my opinion and hundreds or maybe thousands of people LOVE this series. I can't say as of yet if I do. I want to read the second book and see if it's any better.

Has anyone else read this series? If so, do you think it got better or worse after book 1?

No comments:

Post a Comment