Monday, December 13, 2010

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Hardcover: 320 Pages

Publisher: HarperTeen

ISBN-13: 978-0060874162


My rating: 5/5




I lived in darkness now. I started sleeping during the day, walking the streets and riding the subways at night, when no one could really see me. I knew now what it was to be desperate. I knew what it was to sulk in darkness, looking for some little bit of hope and finding nothing. I knew what it was to be so lonely you could kill from it.
I wished I had an opera house. I wished I had a cathedral. I wished I could climb to the top of the Empire State Building like King Kong. Instead, I had only the anonymous streets of New York with their millions of stupid, clueless people...I scared me.


This book has been one of the best books I've read in a while. I love the fact that it's like a fairy tale for adults. It's a grown up version of beauty and the beast but told from the beast's POV. The story is told through Kyle Kingsbury. A stuck up, rich jock at Tuttle high school. He treats everyone disrespectfully that looks or acts different at all. He looks down his nose at the poor and unfortunate people at his school because he feels they don't belong there. Kyle Kingsbury is arrogance at it's finest.


At first, you are repelled by Kyle. Disgusted by his attitude and sickened by his words. But as he progress' through his transformation, and what the consequences of his actions have done to him, you become attached. Always hoping for more. No matter how hard he fights to stay the same, you still like him in some weird way. And his emotional and mental transformation is so close to reality, although the cause of it is not. I think that if someone were to go through something similar-but not as extreme-the emotional evolution would be the same as Kyle's.


I love books that you can laugh at while reading. Getting giddy when something good happens. Or that feeling in your stomach when the romance between two characters begins. This book has all that and more. If you were a fan of Disney movies as a child or any fairy tale for that matter, then you will LOVE Beastly. I highly recommend it and I, for one, can not wait to see the movie adaptation!


Happy Reading!! : )


No comments:

Post a Comment