Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Hardcover: 563 Pages

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

ISBN-13: 978-0-316-04267-3

My Rating: 3/5

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


I have to say that I was dissapointed with 'Beautiful Creatures.' It's not that it was poorly written I just found it exceedingly difficult to get into. It was like I couldn't connect with the characters and, for me, the story development wasn't that great. I heard a lot of people ranting and raving about how good both 'Beautiful Creatures' and 'Beautiful Darkness' were. So maybe I over hyped the book and that's why I was so disappointed. No matter how hard I tried to, I just couldn't stay in the book.

The story is told through Ethan Wate. Your typical high school jock. Except that he knows how to read and he actually does. Then, after asking for a change, a strange girl moves to town. It's assumed she's strange because she's new and she dresses different. And he instantly is attracted to her on some unknown level. Not being a very loyal friend, he rather quickly dismisses all of his old friends for a girl he hasn't even spoken to. It's a weird story, but it works. It's your typical, boy meets girl, opposites attract, love story. Of course it's got a couple of twists and turns, like any good book, but nothing too major.

For me, when I read a book, I usually get completely involved. I laugh at happy moments, or smile. I tear up when something heartbreaking happens, and I gasp at shocking events. But this book didn't do that for me. That's not to say I was never into it, it definitely had its moments. I was hoping, from something a friend said, that the ending would...change my whole perspective, but I was sadly mistaken. I forced myself through the book, chapter after chapter. I'm sure everyone has a read a book at some point or another where they are into it, not into it, then into it again, then not into it. 'Beautiful Creatures' was very slow for me. I'm happy I had the opportunity to read it, but I'd probably never read it again.

Has anyone else read either 'Beautiful Creatures' or 'Beautiful Darkness'? I would love to hear other peoples perspectives on the two books. And, if you prefer one over the other.

Happy Reading! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment