Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Reading Level: Young Adult

Hardcover: 480 Pages

Publisher: Harper Collins

ISBN-13: 978-0-06-172680-4

My Rating: 5/5

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?
Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High-from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.
Instead, it turns out to be her last.
Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death-and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

Where can I start with this book...it was immaculate! Incredible, amazing, fabulous, and all those good things! I loved 'Before I Fall' by Lauren Oliver SO much! It was, like I said, amazing. I heard so many good things about it so I knew I'd like it, I had no idea how much though. I was hooked immediately! This is another one of those books I couldn't put down. I seem to have a lot of those ha ha! But this one, without a doubt, is definitely one. It's like groundhog's day for teenagers with a twist. I loved it!

The story is told through Samantha Kingston who describes herself as:
Here are my good traits: big green eyes, straight white teeth, high cheekbones, long legs. Here are my bad traits: a too-long nose, skin that gets blotchy when I'm nervous, a flat butt.
 She then goes on to describe herself (and her friends) as high school royalty. The most popular girls. So, we can all predict how mean and terrible these girls are going to be.
Because we are popular. And we're popular because we can get away with everything.
Sam and her friends are a perfect example of how conniving, cold-hearted, and mean high school girls can be.

It's definitely refreshing to finally find a book that's not about a plain ol' girl who has some unknown attraction to some unaturally beautiful guy. She knows she's pretty, she knows her friends are beautiful, and she has the most attractive guy at her school. It's different. And every once in awhile, different is good!

Sam's struggles (both with herself and her friends) are unrelenting. The first few days that she repeats, she does terrible things to people, like Lauren for example. Sam asked to borrow a pen from her in Chem class during a quiz and Lauren got caught talking. At one point, her teacher is in the office with her threatening to call Penn State about it. All Lauren wants is for Sam to tell him what really happened and all Sam can say is "I can't help you." She's potentially ruining Lauren's life and for no good reason. But, she still has a conscience. So, every time she does some terrible thing, she is ridden with guilt. So she's not completely a lost cause.

Sam's transformation from snobby, popular girl to kind-hearted and caring is written so well, it's incredible! It's exactly what I think would happen in real life. I loved the day when Sam went nuts and did whatever she wanted. I bet that we all wish we could do that. Live one day knowing that we have an opportunity to live it over and no one would remember anything we did! lol.

There were parts in 'Before I Fall' that were so funny, I was literally laughing. I can't explain how much I really, really loved this book but I think I did a good job so far! When I was reading 'Before I Fall' I put everything else on the back burner just so I could read! I love it and it's definitely a book I can see myself rereading and I don't normally reread things.

What did you all think? Has anyone read Delirium yet? I'm planing on going out and buying Delirium today or tomorrow. I love Lauren Oliver's writing style so I'm really looking forward to it. Thoughts? Opinions?

5 comments:

  1. This one is my next read so I'm really glad you liked it that much !! I can't wait to start it now thanks to you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elodie! : )
    I'm sure you will love it! I'll keep an eye out for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this book as well. I had such a hard time expressing it in my review. The idea of being stuck on the last day of you're life until you get everything right was interesting. And it's an important novel too in the way it deals with bullying and it's aftereffects. Fantastic review for an amazing book! :)

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean! I feel like I wasn't able to fully express how good the book was to me. And I'm always worried about giving away to much info in my reviews ha ha! Thank you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I still need to read this! and Congratulations! You won the Stylish Blogger Award on my blog! Check it out - http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2011/02/confessions-of-readaholic-stylish.html

    Rabiah @ Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete