Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fury of the Phoenix by Cindy Pon

Reading Level: Young Adult

Paperback (ARC): 336 Pages

Publisher: Greenwillow/Harper Teen

ISBN:978-0-06-173025-2

Release Date: March 29th 2011

My Rating: 5/5

Ai Ling has been marked by the immortals, and her power is extraordinary-and as yet untamed. When Chen Yong, the young warrior she met on the road to the Emperor's city, decides to journey overseas to search for his birth father, Ai Ling-following her heart-daringly joins him in his quest. Fluid, exhilarating writing; a strong female lead; and a star-crossed romance make this a deeply satisfying conclusion to 'Silver Phoenix,' the book Meg Cabot called "an addictive gem."

'Fury of the Phoenix' is the second book in the 'Kingdom of Xia' books. It's incredible. I loved it more than the first one...if that's possible? lol. It was engaging in multiple ways and it never left me feeling....unsatisfied! 'Fury of the Phoenix' is completely captivating and it's an immaculate companion novel to 'Silver Phoenix.' I was compelled to read page after page! I always wanted to know what was going to happen next. Since I'm reviewing an ARC copy that I was fortunate enough to win (thank you Harper Teen!) and it's not released until March 29th, 2011-based on what Cindy's website says-I won't be including any quotes or giving away TOO much information. Which pains me because I want to tell you all everything!

'Fury of the Phoenix' basically picks up where 'Silver Phoenix' left off. There is a small time frame that is skipped over but I get the feeling nothing too exciting happened. And, anything that did, we are filled in on! Again, this story is (mostly) told through Ai Ling as she starts out on a new journey/adventure. I do have to say, that through 'Silver Phoenix' and 'Fury of the Phoenix' we always get to read about Ai Ling's overzealous love of food. Which is not a bad thing! It gives a little humor to the story through the sad parts. It just cracks me up that through all the turmoil and trauma, if she smells food, she's like a basset hound and can sniff it out. And man can she eat! lol. I love that about her! : )

In 'Fury of the Phoenix' we get to learn a great deal more about Silver Phoenix. I was super excited about it! I know that that's one thing that a lot of people were wanting so, you'll be super happy with 'Fury of the Phoenix.' Not only do we get to learn about Silver Phoenix BUT we also get to learn about Zhong Ye. There is a lot of in-depth information and stuff we get to read about. Particularly, how Zhong Ye went from being some nobody, farmer's son to the emperor's most trusted advisor. And, how Silver Phoenix gets thrown into all of it.

So, I don't want to give away too much. But, I do want to say that, for those of you who liked or loved 'Silver Phoenix' you will LOVE 'Fury of the Phoenix.' It's amazing! And, I really hope that Cindy is going to continue to write YA novels and that we will see more from her in the future. I love the way she writes! : )

Make sure you check out 'Silver Phoenix' if you haven't AND keep an eye out for 'Fury of the Phoenix' which is being release on March 29th 2011!!!! : )

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I found you on Wow and am sticking around to follow.
    bethfred.com

    ReplyDelete